J. Crew Pre-Fall Capsule
Last week I walked into the J.Crew store at Lenox Mall and an entire pre-fall capsule unfolded before my eyes. This may be the first time that I've ever mentioned J.Crew on my blog, btw. Not because I'm not a believer, I am. Their blazers and winter coats are a life saver for the long-limbed and I've always adored their bathing suits. Also, have you tried the high-rise skinnies? OMG. You must. That being said, outside of a few staples, I typically waltz in and out without paying much attention to the clothes for myself. I simply prefer more minimalist styles.
This season's "it-print"
I love tigers.
I love a sassy patterned shoe.
I live for a killer blazer.
If it's leather (faux or not), I'll try it on.
And if there's a metallic option, I'll choose it.
And guess what J.Crew is currently servin' up?
ALL OF THAT.
The bold pieces that we collect are what
make our wardrobes our own.
Here's how to work in these flashy prints and funky styles...
The Tiger Shirt
- The Tiger Shirt goes with denim + gold sliders
- The Tiger Shirt goes with the black pleated skirt
- The Tiger Shirt goes with the navy wide legs (yes, navy with the black stripes on the tigers is OKAY!)
- The Tiger Shirt goes under the blazer
- The Tiger Shirt goes under the khaki jacket
- The Tiger Shirt even goes over the blush one piece!
The Snakeskin Flats
Do NOT be intimidated by these!
- The Snakeskin flats go with the pleated skirt
- The Snakeskin flats go with ripped denim
- The Snakeskin flats go with navy culottes
- The Snakeskin flats go with the rust-colored boatneck top
- The Snakeskin flats go with the blazer
- The Snakeskin flats go with the gray tee
The Army Print Pants (swoon!)
- The army pants pair well with the blush one piece bathing suit (wear it as a leotard, no one will know!)
- The army pants will be chic AF with the black tiered tank
- The army pants go with the gray tee shirt
- The army pants go with the ivory pop over top
- And the army pants go with the the rust-colored boat neck top.
- Embellished top (get bold!) + gold sliders
The Pleated Leather(ish) Skirt
This one scares a lot of people, "what would I ever wear with that?!" I hear. Here's how:
- Wear the skirt with Tiger Shirt
- Wear the skirt with ivory pop over top + (open) blazer
- Wear the skirt with heather gray tee + snakeskin flats
- Wear the skirt with tucked wide neck sweater
- Wear the skirt with embellished top UNtucked with tall heels (creating the illusion of a dress)
The Silk Tiger Pants
I get it. They look like fancy kids' pajamas. But who. Doesn't. Want. To. Wear. Fancy kid pajamas!?!
- Silk Tiger Pants look amazing with ivory pop over top
- Silk Tiger Pants look amazing with black tiered tank
- Silk Tiger Pants look amazing with gray tee
- Silk Tiger Pants look amazing with gold flats
- Silk Tiger Pants look amazing with blazer
- Silk Tiger Pants look amazing with wide neck sweater
- And I even wonder if you could get away with wearing the blush bathing suit underneath these pants as a top... I think yes!
If you hate color, bulk up on texture. If you hate texture, bulk up on pattern. If you hate pattern, bulk up on color. If you hate neutrals, well, too bad. You MUST have neutrals in your wardrobe. They are the glue that holds everything together.
COLOR. NEUTRAL. PATTERN. TEXTURE.
The whole idea of adding in pops of tigers and sliders and pleats may be totally overwhelming. I encourage you to try things on. Literally and figuratively. If you aren't sure what your personal style is, start to attribute terms to the items that you pick out.
Example 1. I LOVE THAT BLAZER. Why? Why do I love this blazer? Because it's a ying and yang of feminine and masculine. It's got low buttons that elongate. The double buttons remind me of a twist on what my mother and grandmother used to wear. The fact that it layers over virtually ANYTHING makes me happy because, well, versatility is key.
Example 2. The Tiger Shirt. I love it. Why? Because tigers are amazing, duh Because this shirt has a pink tiger and she is not like the others. Because the tigers are roaring in French. Because I put this under a leather jacket or pair it with a sequined skirt. Because my family members have gone to Clemson. And because, again, tigers are amazing.